Okay, this threads all about helping to keep players games running smoothly, if you have any tips you think are worth placing in here, email firstname.lastname@example.org
) or just send me a message.
1) Check background tasks, things like iTunes, Media Player & Winamp can have an adverse effect on game, MSN Messenger is known to also create a few problems from time to time also. If you have any doubts about what you have running, right click the Task Bar & click Task Manager, click process's, then click on CPU so that the most greedy process comes to the top. When your sitting idle it should be System Idle Process up the top, if you have other process that are chewing up more than 5% usage, its likely they will cause Q3 to be a little less smooth (Quake III & 3D Games like to be in total control).
2) Know your system, if you've got a computer thats 5 years old, dont try to set your resolution to 1600x1200 with max graphics. If your game players suffering, down everything & check that your frame rate (cg_drawfps 1) is as high as possible (recommended com_maxfps 75 (Default) or com_maxfps 125 (Some users prefer)) If your frame rate drops a lot (more than 20 frames) when its a full server, consider lowering your resolution, texture detail until it maintains a more stable rate.
3) Try to avoid sharing bandwidth with other applications/computers. Now I know a lot of people share the internet with other people, but when your playing a game, if someone else is downloading, do the right thing for other players, spectate until its finished, because you may feel like your jerky as, but other people can see you move just as jerky. If your on a network & someone else is browsing, unfortunatly there's not much you can do about it, but just be aware that these sort of things can & will cause your game not to be smooth.
4) Dont download, upload & share files whilst your trying to play. All of these things can & will adversly effect ping & in general packetflow.
5) Try to make sure your antivirus/firewall/anti-spyware programs are up to date & try to scan at least once a week. Virus's & Spyware can & do cause quite a bit of problems for a lot of people, specially when it comes to games.
If you find none of these help your situation, turn on the netgraph (cg_lagometer 1) & watch for spikes/gaps or general inconsistant behaivior. Also, typing \showdrop 1 in console will show you if you drop any packets in console, if you have an extreme amount of these, there may be a problem elsewhere. (shouldnt have any, but at worst, 1 or 2 a minute would be the most I would tolerate). After you check your netgraph & check for packetloss & cant see any reason for your problems, ask in chat, if there's someone around, generally there's someone else that has had a similar problem, & try to remember, Google is thy friend.
Here's a new one I've found helped me with a few glitches, for all those that run Dual Core's or Hyper-threaders & have occasional hicups with frames going super-low, try setting CPU affinity using a program such as " http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t65211.html
" or others to make Q3 stick to one CPU/Core instead of using a bit of each, I found it helps keep things a bit more stable. Will update with more info shortly.
Okay, the program I listed above is not a simple to use one, so for the novice users I suggest you read the info on the download page carefully before downloading. I've found it does help with the problem of very low FPS, but is NOT reliable at the moment ( I havent configured it a great deal as of yet, so may be user error on my part.)
********* Dual Core / Quad Core CPU FPS Problems ************
* ATM ONLY WORKS WITH IOURBANTERROR *
1. load up iourbanterror
2. Press control + alt + del to bring up program/process launcher
3. click on processes
4. go down the list till you see iourbanterror.exe and right click
5. Select set affinity in the context menu
6. untick all cpu/cores except for cpu 0
7. press ok
8 return to IoUrbanterror and play ^_^
Problem is tho u have to set it EVERYTIME you play, currently looking for a way without resorting to 3rd party programs to set the cpu affinity at launch.
Also doesn't seem to work with quake 3 but your milage may vary but iourbanrettor seems to be slightly more dual+ core/cpu friendly.
*EDITED by XslauGt8*
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... arch&meta=
SetAffinty.exe is a program that will allow you to specify a EXE & tell it which cpu (CORE) to run on. Use at own disgression, most users haven't had any trouble, but I had a few random lock ups, but I am still using it & haven't had any problems in a while.
(Thanks Redwall, needed to do this)